Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Greatest Thing You'll Ever Learn

Is just to love, and be loved in return.

I got a phone call at 11pm last night from a good friend, "can I borrow your car?"
"For what?"
"Chris* needs a ride to Mexico."

The next thing I knew I was throwing the bare essentials into a backpack and heading out the door.

Chris lives and works at a Christian "base" in Ensenada where they build houses for families in Mexico. He absolutely loves what he does. The other people who work/live there are incredible too. It came to no surprise to me that he eventually fell in love with one of the girls. This didn't go over too well with the supervisors. Even though there was no 'hanky panky' - only kissing - they kicked them both out for not acting Christian. The next thing he knew, Chris was headed to Anaheim to stay with a friend until he figured everything out. About six days passed by until he couldn't take it any longer. He had to see her. He had to tell her he loves her before she gets sent back to Honduras (where she is from). He had to tell her before it was too late.

And that's where we came in. It only took us about three hours to get to the border. We said our goodbyes and wished him luck.

I have no idea how it went, but seeing him like that - I know his feelings were genuine and rare. It gives me hope to know that true love does exist - the kind that shakes you from your sleep in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, the kind that crawls beneath your skin eating away at you until you are reunited, the kind that completes you, body & soul.

I got back at 4am, and even being sleep deprived I felt amazing. Someday a guy will drive through the night and into a different country just to tell me he loves me. Until then...

Sam

*Name has been changed.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! "Chris" also has some great friends in you and yours.

    ReplyDelete