Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Just Joining a Brothel... NBD.

So this is college...


What I've learned thus far:
1. How to rake leaves.
2. How to stuff 2 pairs of shoes in one box.
3. Stairs.
4. Sorority houses are legally considered brothels.
5. A concussion due to bottom bunk is inevitable.
6. Stairs.
7. If you have time to talk to friends/family back home - you're missing something important at school.
8. Just because you have an expensive, amazing phone does not mean you get service everywhere - including your dorm room.
9. Stairs.
10. Dead ants make fabulous decorations for my walls. Yum.


I've learned so much and I haven't even started classes yet!!


Ok for those of you dying to hear about my adventures - listen up!


Friday, Sept. 18: Move-in
Mom & brother helped me move in. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Everything actually fit! Then I went back to the hotel to hang out with them one last time before they left...


Saturday, Sept 19: Football Game
Mom cried as we said our goodbyes. I walked away feeling like a new person. I wasn't sure if it felt good or bad... but I didn't have time to find out! Next thing I knew, I was getting ready quickly to meet up with friends to go tailgating before the football game (UCLA vs. K-State)! After 3 hours of tailgating, we head to our seats - front row in the student section!!! My first tailgate, first time to the Rose Bowl, first time to a college football game and I'm sitting front row - mama texted that she saw me on TV!! Nuts. 23-9. Bruins. In N Out. Home around 12:30 annnnd bed time. Spent the first night in my new home allllllll alone. It was weird but I was so exhausted I barely noticed.


Sunday, Sept 20: Bruin Bash
Every fall UCLA hosts a concert/dance with a popular artist to kick off the new school year - free for students. LMFAO rocked the mother f@#$ing house!!! DJ Skeet Skeet was legit too. Didn't stay for the dance much - we were wore out after belting weird LMFAO lyrics (those who are fans know what I mean haha).


Monday, Sept 21: New Student Welcome
Wake up. Shower. Activities fair. (An exhibition of all the clubs / organizations on campus. Includes: Greek life, sports, community services, arts, etc. and most importantly: free food samples of various venues on campus. Score.) Then New Student Welcome ceremony - Steve Callahan, the writer/producer of Family Guy, gave a speech. Then the BBQ & "rally" (in quotes due to the lack of rallying at the rally) with complimentary T-shirt. Then the Residential Life meeting - mandatory for all on-campus residents. Then back to the "house" (the building I live in is referred to as a house) for a meeting. Then sleep. Finally. Busy day. Basically zero "me" time. Haha... what is that?! I forgot when I moved here...


Tuesday, Sept 22: Mandatory Volunteer Day
What an epic oxymoron. Way to go UCLA. Not that it wasn't awesome, and not that I wouldn't have participated regardless, but come on. Roughly 5,000 students were bussed to various locations in the city to do community service. My group went to Griffith Park (approx. 4,000 acres - making it the largest municipal park in the country...? Or world, can't remember) to rake leaves. 8am-2pm then nap. Then dinner. Then 20% off at the UCLAStore - got some Rainbow brand flippy floppies - woohoo!!


Wednesday, Sept 23: RUSH!
So I'm rushing a sorority. Today was the first day. I spent about 7 hours talking to girls in 6 sororities, trying to decide which is right for me. Phew. And tomorrow, I get to do it alllllllll over again. Yay me. Haha. Ok serious note- I am excited. I miss the camaraderie that comes along with being on a team and I can get that in a sorority plus the sports plus fun talent show type dealios and dances and socials and wow. So, don't knock it til you try it. It's something I want to do and I would appreciate all you haters to kindly keep your mouths shut. 


I'm so exhausted from EVERYTHING... But I had to take some time to update y'all on my life. I know I spared a lot of details, but I didn't have time to start my autobiography tonightttttt so ...


Point being - I'm having a blast. I miss you like crazyyyyy and I wish you were here to share these amazing moments with me. But since you can't be - keeeeeep reading kids!


missin you in LA
Sam


P.S. Too tired to proofread. Sorry. .....I lied. I'm not sorry. =P
P.P.S. For all those adults who were wondering, "NBD" means no big deal =)

2 comments:

  1. Nice post... like being there with you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greek life is the best way to enjoy your college experience...people that hate usually are jealous...

    ReplyDelete